Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Red Wheelbarrow


I was going for a reinterpretation William Carlos Williams' iconic poem, "The Red Wheelbarrow," using this photograph of a woman in Indonesia (with a red wheelbarrow) and a boy from Rwanda (with non-white chickens). I had to start over a couple times and got thoroughly frustrated, so what I ended up with is not what I had envisioned, but that's part of the process, right? If I have time, I'll play with it some more, but several hours is more than enough for now.

Since you probably can't read the text, here's the poem:

The Red Wheelbarrow
by William Carlos Williams

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.

The Rwandan boy comes from the blog of photographer Adam Bacher, called Bacher's Blog. The boy holding the chickens is Jean Claude. Here is the original image:



The Indonesian woman with the corn (which, says Bacher, was what the chickens were fed after this picture was taken), came from a 2005 USAID story. The photographer is C. Gredler.



What are the copyright laws on photos posted on one internet site and used on another? Is this considered "private use"? I'm certainly not making any money off these photos, but I am displaying them to the public, a public that could just as easily find them on the original websites, as I did. Interesting.

3 comments:

Mathilda said...

I like it, Marla! And it goes well with the poem, too! ;)

Kristi said...

I think it turned out great! Was the frustration *totally* worth it? I had a really hard time trying to stitch pictures together, so I just shifted the opacity on the top layer, but your solution to use that finish looks really good!

Luke and Marla said...

Kristi,

I should have just done the opacity thing. Instead, I spent a TON of time cloning the grass, corn, etc. in the one picture, then selecting just the boy and pasting him on top. It wasn't actually very hard, just time-consuming. The finish effect was sort of an accident that I couldn't figure out how to reverse. :-) But it looks cool.