Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"Cyber-rape?"

First of all, I second Sarah Etlinger's assessment of Digitizing Race: Visual Cultures of the Internet so far:  intriguing introduction, disappointing first chapter, redeeming second chapter.  Now on to some of Nakamura's ideas that got me thinking....

The J. Lo stuff in the Introduction was both compelling and difficult for me to read.  I haven't seen the "If You Had My Love" music video, but the descriptions and stills make it pretty clear what's going on.  I was angry with Lopez for pandering to the male gendered gaze (she is not alone, of course, as this is the modus operandi of nearly all female celebrities, singers, dancers, etc. regardless of the medium), and I wished Nakamura had problematized the production/producer aspect of the video (who generated the idea? who was the visual designer? who directed, produced, costumed?).  (She does mention that "it is really the invisible interface designer whose work conditions the limits and possibilities of interactivity in this case" [19].)

But here's where I really got interested:  "The pleasure of the interface lies partly in its power to control movement between genres and partly in the way that it introduces musical genres that audiences may not have even known existed" (25-26).  Actually, my mind took off after "power to control movement" and went in a different direction from the rest of the sentence.  Due to the interactivity of the simulated interface portrayed in the music video, and of actual websites, the user literally controls the movement of the objects in/of/on the site -- in this case, the object is Jennifer Lopez.  With simple clicks of the mouse, the viewer "makes" Lopez dance, in the style of his choice; he "makes" her undress, shower, etc. in front of him (or he could -- I don't know if these "selections" are shown on the video); he is allowed "multiple points of entry into her digital image" (19); he can replay particular parts of her performance over and over, at any time, at his whim.  Thus, in a sense, he "controls" this Latina.  I couldn't help but write at the bottom of page 25: "cyber-rape?"  Nakamura says, "The interface lets you 'have' Jennifer Lopez in a variety of ethnic and racialized modes by clicking on one of many links" (28).

You might argue that the viewer and his "object" are not operating on the same plane:  He is not actually controlling her because he sits as a physical presence in his darkened office, and she exists (as far as he is concerned) only as pixels on a computer screen.  But as Nakamura writes, "In the case of the video, the cursor functions as a visual proxy that in this case stands in for the viewer; it is itself a kind of avatar..." (26).  Thus through the cursor, the viewer enters the digital plane and joins Lopez there, but though they "exist" together, she is still the object and he the subject with the power.  His control is limited, of course, by what has been programmed into the website:  He cannot see more than she has chosen to show him.  But this brings me back to my earlier questions of who is really calling the shots behind the production of the website/video?  Not only do I suspect the involvement of male producers and directors, but, as Nakamura points out elsewhere in the book, commercial pursuits are always at the mercy of the consumer.

Nakamura gives us another example of the user's power by way of the cursor in Chapter 2's discussion of alllooksame.com:  "The site also shows that racial codes come from the user as well as the interface or content of the site itself.  The site exposes the user's participation in this construction; it shows how individual acts of viewing and 'typing' or clicking create race just as surely as do large institutions such as schools, medical establishments, and the law" (83-84).  Earlier on page 83, she refers to "interactive self-reflexivity."  I'm not sure that I agree with her that "alllooksame.com produces a community based on a shared act of interactive self-reflexivity," but I am intrigued by this concept.  Does the internet encourage us to be self-reflexive?  Other than remembering to delete cookies and browser cache every once in a while, and perhaps going to the "click here every day to end breast cancer" websites, do we think critically about our choices to click or not click, and what the implications of these choices may be?  Even though the entire premise of the internet is networking, how many of us consider surfing and interacting with websites to be an intensely personal activity?  How many of us get angry when confronted with the fact that many sites track our clicks, implant cookies on our machines to recognize us and record our movements, and seem to learn our tastes and interests (I don't know about you, but Amazon's "Recommended for You" creeps me out with its accuracy)?  More importantly, what world is constructed by the choices we make with our mouse?  Anne asked us the first day of class, "What kind of world do you want to live in?"  Do the ways you interact with/in digitality help move the world toward or away from your imagined ideal future?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Marla:

I'm glad you agree, though it ultimately doesn't matter... we're all individuals! :)

I do, though, want to problematize your assumption that the person looking at the J.Lo video, and "making her dance" is male. No, I have not seen it, and haven't any desire to, but I know plenty of girls, women, etc who are fans of her (and Britney Spears) for various reasons. They would/might visit the website and "make her dance" in those styles to see what those styles look like. While this is obviously probably not the main audience this site reaches, and while I am also going out on a limb in some cases, nonetheless to assume that there are only males looking at, and sampling, this site is problematic at best. This is something I wish Nakamura (and many other visual studies scholars) would address.

Thus, the question remains: Does the "gaze" still apply in the face of intent? I don't think it does. But then again, what do I know? ;)

Alyssa said...

Oy, I think Nakamura gives too much credit to J.Lo for progressiveness. I remember the video, and I'm pretty sure that J.Lo's main goal was to present herself as a sexy lady who can sing and dance. In the video, people of many cultures and races are watching her and either lusting or idolizing her. I think her video is just trying to tell the world that J.Lo wants to be seen as sexy in many ways. You can watch it on You Tube here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=sK0DjYE-GVA

Luke and Marla said...

Sarah,

Thanks for your comment. I figured someone would call me out on my single-gender reading of the text and music video. :-) I, too, thought that Nakamura should have complicated this a bit more, and I probably should have, too. It seems from her description that the male is the primary viewer in the video, but she does mention girls/women watching it, which she attributes to (as Alyssa said) idolizing (she doesn't mention the possibility of a lesbian gaze). What might this less sexualized intent mean for the "gaze"? I still think there's some "using" and maybe even "controlling" going on, even if it's just a young girl "using" J.Lo to fantasize about her own imaginary stardom.

And frankly, I think Nakamura might be "using" J.Lo to make her point: Like Alyssa, I think the video was probably all about marketing her body and her brand. But I'm kind of cynical about this stuff. :-)

Mathilda said...

Marla,

Thank you for bringing up the question, "Do we think critically about our choices to click or not to click?" This question really works to personalize all of what Nakamura wrote. And, I think, it begins to interact with my own questions and concerns about many of her premises.

As others have stated, the first chapter seemed quite a bit off. In that her analysis was quite faulty and she jumped around a bit and did not go as in depth as she could have/should have.

Also, in considering the racial identity in Nakamura's terms, I was having difficulty applying it to my own worldview. As I am a very community oriented person (namely in 'real life') I kept thinking about how I could apply this to my own world. And, while I came up with many answers for that thought, I have also been seriously considering my actions online. Your question really worked to engage how I see myself as an identity by the sites that I am clicking on, and how I will see others by choosing to click on various sites. In other words, the choice aspect is qutie powerful! I do have a choice in how I interact on the internet--whatever 'my' identity is.

Choice.

I like it.

Jenny said...

Isn't it possible that J. Lo could be critiquing the male gaze(s) in her act of producing the video? I am not a J. Lo fan, but it gets under my skin that her potential role as designer isn't addressed as a possibility in the analysis (even if, as Alyssa suggests, J. Lo's intention might merely be to be seen as sexy in several different ways). I suppose this section of Nakamura's text goes along with the first chapter; in both places, J. Lo and users of AIM icons are figured on at least some level as buying in (or not really having a choice but to buy in - for the AIM buddies, those are apparently the images from which to choose) to this "male gaze."