Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"Beyond Kittens, Beyond Angels"

A huge thanks to Anne for turning me onto the NY Times migraine blog. I'm posting a link here to Monday's (3/10) entry, Beyond Kittens, Beyond Angels, because it relates to Nakamura's discussion of women's roles as producers on the internet.  Specifically, it talks about how women have been using chronic pain blogs ("sick lit") to build community with one another, free themselves from constraining stereotypes and the demand that they wrap up their pain in a tidy narrative, and present something more authentic (to them) than women's websites that never get beyond "angels and kittens."

I have to go now.  I have a headache.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Via crafter legend Cinnamon Cooper's website (http://www.poise.cc/), I discovered a few years ago that she carries a Chronic Babe tote to support Jenni Prokopy's Chronic Babe website, which you might also find worthwhile:
http://www.chronicbabe.com/

It's no NYT, but it's cool.

Kristi said...

And that's what I get for not reading the entire NYT blog you posted before I commented...

Elizabeth said...

I appreciated linking to this blog. It was good to see the writer address the fact that women are more "biologically prone to pain and fatigue and need better treatments for them." As a woman with chronic pain, I know how it can be (and has been) used against me. I'm going to look a bit further into some of the issues she references.